Sunday, October 21, 2012

Caffeine Crash

The world without coffee would be a very dull and sleepy world. Or at least I feel like it would. I love my coffee. In fact, I feel kind of weird when I don't have my morning cup of coffee. However, I have always wondered, how much caffeine is too bad? Upon researching, I found a website that showed me exactly what I was looking for. A healthy amount of caffeine is between 200 and 300mg or about two to four cups of coffee per day. Anything more than this can cause;
 
  • Insomnia
  • Nervousness
  • Restlessness
  • Irritability
  • Stomach upset
  • Fast heartbeat
  • Muscle tremors

Another thing to take in consideration is the person's body weight and how much water they drink a day. We all love our coffee, but remember, everything in moderation.


Mayo Clinic Staff. Nutrition and Healthy Eating. Mayo Clinic.com, 10 Aug. 2012. Web. 21 Oct. 2012.

3 comments:

  1. well, this week I just made a post about the top 8 healthiest drinks in the world and unfortunately, coffee is not in this list.(maybe some other people don't like it).I like coffee since it can make me relaxed. I agree with the sentence that "we all like coffee, but remember, everything in moderation". I was so impressed with the "imsomnia because last weekend I drinked a lot of coffee to help me finish the project 2 paper that I can not sleep at night. So this post can be very helpful to warn somebody who loves coffee not to drink it too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had coffee as a child and absolutely despised it, so I have managed to keep a safe distance from it my whole life. However it seems everyone around me places a strong dependence on it, so maybe I should give it another try. Sometimes it appears that people are just pretending to have that "caffeine rush" that isn't really there. Such as when someone goes ballistic after having a monster or red bull. Personally, none of that stuff has any affect on me, I just drink it for the taste. Interesting post though! The muscle tremors part surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is very true. You should try to keep everything in moderation whether it is in energy drinks, coffee, or even soda. Luckily for me I do not drink coffee but I do sometimes drink energy drinks for energy and taste. The caffeine range 200-300mg a day seems reasonable for me. However when I was younger, I use to drink many more energy drinks and starting feeling many of the symptoms you have described in your blog. Muscle tremors were the most common, probably because I worked out during that time. You have a great blog post here! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete