Monday, September 17, 2012

Catch some Z's

I have heard throughout the years from not only my parents, but professionals that a healthy lifestyle starts with a good amount of sleep. However, I never really knew the benefits of sleeping and if it even related to well being.After reading another blog written by Tatsuya Nakagawa, I realized that eating healthy is pretty much the start to a healthy lifestyle. Tatsuya made a good point and brought up the fact when most people are dieting, the motivation becomes harder after the third week. I have always wondered why this occurs. Tatsuya researched and found that those who slept for less than eight hours were more likely to cheat on their diets and exercise routines rather than those who got more than eight hours of sleep. This is because the body needs sleep to refuel your energy and with less sleep your metabolism decreases making it harder to work off the extra weight you are trying to lose. This article also mentions the benefits of getting the proper amount of sleep. Tatsuya says that a good amount of sleep can: metabolize carbohydrates properly, maintain leptin, growth hormones, proper blood pressure and insulin resistance, and keep a positive attitude through decreased anxiety and perceived stress.(Nakagawa,pg.1) I thought this article was super beneficial because I know when I'm tired I have no motivation to work out. So it is important that to start a healthy lifestyle you need a steady sleep schedule. Of course though there is always going to be those "all nighters", but just don't make a habit out of them. 

"Sleep your way to Better Fitness."Lifehack.org.Lifehack.2012.Web.17 Sep.2012.   

3 comments:

  1. Similar to any college student, I feel as if I haven't been getting enough sleep lately. Every morning I get up feeling like I need to go back to bed, and I can tell it's starting to wear on me. Knowing that food and sleep are directly correlated is very interesting. Great blog, can't wait to read more!
    ~Ryan Marron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    I really enjoyed this post. As a college student and athlete, this was such a good reminder of how truly important sleep is. I have been slacking on my sleep so much and it really has had a toll on me. Just yesterday, I took a test and had a long run and I felt and did awful on both. I feel like a lot of it had to do with my lack of sleep. I can tell that you're really passionate about your major and I know that you'll do really well with it no matter which direction it takes you! I can't wait to keep reading more about your blog!

    Allison McGinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting. Living healthy has so many sides to it. I know I don't get enough sleep, particularly tonight, but it seems impossible to get as much sleep as people say I should get. I also think it's worth mentioning that it is 3am right now. Kind of ironic...

    ReplyDelete