Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Foot Faries

I have never really been one to play soccer. In fact, I think that the sport is actually quite boring. However, the other night I was in my dorm doing my homework like a good student when there was a knock on our door. Now this does sound like the introduction to a horror movie or novel, but of course it was nothing of that sort. As I answered the door, to my surprise it was a girl and two boys in athletic jumpsuits and sneakers. They asked my roommate and if we would could stand in for their co-ed soccer game against the other neighborhoods. They made the point that if they couldn't find two more girls to play in the game, they would have to forfeit. I decided that even though I am not a soccer player, I never turn down physical activity and this sounded like a good way to get to know a team. The game was played and the east neighborhood won. However, as everyone was getting ready to leave, I noticed how everyone had such good sportsmanship even though they lost. I introduced myself to the captain, Jake, who actually told me a lot about the team and what they do. They practice two days a week, sometimes three and the team is obviously co-ed. They play just for fun and play against the other neighborhood soccer teams. Jake and the rest of team seemed like a bunch of people who just like to play the game for the fun of it, which I found refreshing considering so many people do things that they hate. Now, although this isn't exactly related to my field, it somewhat correlates to what morals I look for in a job. I want a job that I enjoy doing and physical activity releases many endorphins that make you feel good. I want a job that is competitive but on the other hand relaxed. In a weird way, playing on this soccer team somewhat helped me see that this job is exactly what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment